Kluski Kraut

This is not a fancy, or colorful, recipe; it seems classically German to me. Well, probably Polish really, with the kluski and kielbasa. I associate this dish with my hometown, though, and my ancestors from there emigrated from Bavaria or "West Prussia." 

Growing up I ate a lot of sauerkraut as my Mom would make kraut with my Grandma using the lettuce from the garden and it was a staple of church dinners. My Mom made a variety of dishes, but I think I remember her kluski kraut well at least partially because the name is so fun to say. A couple years ago I decided to make it from memory after a trip to Kramarczuk's that yielded the 3 main ingredients: kluski noodles, kielbasa and sauerkraut. My recent trip was via curbside pickup, as one does "in these times." 

I recently confirmed my Mom's steps and turns out I wasn't too far off. I made just slight variations and tried to capture measurements, though this is really one of those "to taste" recipes so feel to adjust if you'd like more or less kraut with your noodles. 

Kluski Kraut
Slightly adapted from my mother's recipe.   



Servings: 5-6
Time: 30 minutes


Ingredients:
  • 12 oz kluski noodles (An egg noodle. I've found them at Kramarczuk's and Kowalski's, and likely other stores have them. Otherwise, a regular egg noodle would do.)
  • 2 T butter
  • 1/4 c diced onion
  • 2 links short kielbasa, sliced into rounds
  • 2 - 2 1/2 c sauerkraut
  • 2 T Penzey's Bavarian seasoning (A blend of ground mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and sage). Other seasonings can certainly be used instead, but do season well. 
The sauerkraut I use, with Penzey's Bavarian seasoning.

Instructions:

Cook noodles according to package instructions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Cook onions in butter on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until browned, then add sausage and cook until sausage is slightly browned and onions are caramelized, about 5 more minutes.

Drain noodles. Turn the skillet down to low. Add sauerkraut, 2 or 2 1/2 cups depending on preference, to the skillet, then noodles and seasoning. Stir well. As you stir, the noodles will brown some - that's ok and makes it even more tasty! Serve immediately. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LeRoy's Arrival Story

A Victorian without a fireplace? No more.

Vietnam 2020: A Recap and Travel Guide