Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

I first made these muffins a little over a year ago as I was getting ready to make the big change from agency life back to corporate. Turns out they are just as good stored in the fridge or freezer and reheated, as I found out when I got slightly concerned about their impact on my upcoming drug test for said move to corporate life and therefore stored most of them away that first time.

These muffins have been on my mind for weeks and I finally got the lemons I needed for them (I thought I had 2 lemons when I first wanted to make them but it was only one...). They are a perfect spring - or really, any time - muffin. Light and fluffy, yet filling. Such a great texture, which I believe comes from the large amount of baking powder, and the citrus is refreshing. I like to make muffins on a weekend and have 1-2 for breakfast all week.

If you make muffins frequently, I highly recommend this silicone muffin pan. I used rigid ones for years and was getting sick of how hard they were to clean. When it started to show rust, I looked for a better option and haven't looked back from the silicone pan since. Muffins pop right out and cleaning is super easy. Will eventually upgrade my mini muffin pan to something similar.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Adapted from the New York Times (gated)


 



Servings: 12 muffins
Time: 40 minutes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c melted butter, cooled 
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 c Greek yogurt (I use Fage 5%)
  • 2 eggs
  • juice from 2 large lemons
  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t kosher salt
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • zest from those same 2 lemons
  • 4 t poppy seeds
Instructions:

Melt the butter in the microwave in 30 second increments (about 1 minute) in a large glass bowl. Let it cool (otherwise the milk curdles it).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds.

Once the butter is cooled, whisk together the remaining ingredients (milk, yogurt, eggs and lemon juice) with the butter until combined and mostly smooth. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet with a large spatula, just until combined. Do not overmix; batter will be thick.

Divide batter among 12 muffin cups. I like to scoop it in with a cookie scoop, usually about 2 scoops for each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick.

Can be stored at room temp for a few days or in the fridge for up to a week. Also can be frozen. To reheat, microwave for about 20 seconds from the fridge and 45 seconds from frozen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LeRoy's Arrival Story

A Victorian without a fireplace? No more.

Vietnam 2020: A Recap and Travel Guide