A stay at home Easter

Easter is often a bit weird in Minnesota. A year or two ago my Dad was calling it "Christmas Easter" because the farm had just gotten a heavy blanket of snow. This year it snowed as well, because sometimes it snows in April and all that. But, this year there was no seeing that snow at the farm. No going to the farm at all. I'm really going to need to need to get my cow fix when this is all over.

Covid-19 has kept us largely at home for the past month now and Easter was no exception. It was weird not having my aunt's bunny cake, not brainstorming what I wanted to contribute to the family meal, not having any jelly beans or Reese's eggs (my mom always has these so I've never bought them).

I did spend a decent part of the day in the kitchen, though. I made a broccoli ham quiche and Mike, who is not a fan of most things involving baked eggs, said it was his favorite quiche I've made. He still left all the leftovers for me, but that's ok because he made chicken noodle soup the day before, which is weirdly not my favorite, and got all those leftovers. Quiche seemed Easterish for some reason? I mean, there was ham.

The quiche is heavily adapted from this recipe. I used a homemade crust I'd frozen and didn't quite get it how I wanted when I baked this. I'll post it when/if I do.

The family video chat was set up - by me - as a "dessert chat" since trying it coordinate it over the full Easter meal seemed complicated, but it seemed Mike and I were the only ones with dessert during it. Everyone else was making supper at 3:30. What is time right now anyways.

Dessert was shortbread caramel bars. I can't believe I'm saying this but they were perhaps too buttery. I love butter shortbread, but the caramel put them over the top and not in a way that made me want to save the recipe. Yet we devoured the 8x8 pan in a couple of days. Eh. I had wanted to make something with lemons - lemon thyme shortbread, lemon bars - but figured Mike would be more into the caramel bars.

I actually put on the lilac sweater I'd planned to wear for Easter for the family video chat, and even earrings! So fancy now. Everyone's pet made an appearance in the video except Kiara who just wanted to sleep next to me, too far down for the laptop camera to capture.

After the family video chat we called our good friends, who are soon to be moving up here from Tennessee, to celebrate their daughter's 1st birthday. She's so good at waving goodbye, even on video! And it was great to talk about their upcoming move, even if for the time being it won't actually mean that we'll get to see them more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LeRoy's Arrival Story

A Victorian without a fireplace? No more.

Vietnam 2020: A Recap and Travel Guide