A Long Weekend in NYC Recap

Until this year, I had never been to New York City. Iceland? Yes. Dubai? Also yes. But NYC? Nope. It just wasn't a trip that had come up yet.

Then Mike talked about going to a conference in London and I'd join him for a long weekend trip. When that feel through, I got the idea of a long weekend in NYC instead in my head. I had some vacation time, it would be December and I'd always wanted to visit around Christmastime. A friend who had moved to NYC a few years reached out randomly and that sealed it - with that and a budget for the trip created we were ready to go.

I mostly wanted to see musicals and eat at so many of the restaurants and bakeries I'd seen all over the Internets. Mike had the Nintendo store on his list.

Day 1 - Friday

Got in around 10 pm, checked into our hotel and walked to Veselka for dinner. Veselka is known for pireogis and was the place I most wanted to try when I started looking into NYC restaurants. I love pierogies and this plate of fried pierogies topped with cheese sauce and caramelized onions was exactly what I wanted after the flight. 




Day 2 - Saturday

Hadestown day! After researching and agonizing over which Broadway show to see for weeks, I landed on Hadestown. It was amazing; loved that we got to see the original cast and hoping to see the traveling cast when it comes to Minneapolis next season. After that, we met up with our friend Andrea who introduced us to Ellen's Stardust Diner, where the waitstaff sing to you. 

Before the show, we had Essa-a-Bagel for breakfast, wandered through most of Central Park, stopped at Levain Bakery and got quick bites - empanadas for me and a poke bowl for Mike - for dinner. I got a lovely pair of earrings from a vendor at a Christmas market and when I realized one wasn't set quite right was able to get it swapped out at the Bryant Park Christmas Market the next day.




Day 3 - Sunday

A late start after a late night, we walked over to Chelsea Market for brunch at a hand-pulled noodle place then walked part of the High Line before meeting up with Andrea again for an off-Broadway show - a Love Actually parody. Andrea showed us around the tourist hot spots - Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and the Bryant Park Christmas Market. We then wandered over to the Nintendo store, where Mike sadly didn't find anything he wanted, and checked out the Macy's holiday display before getting dinner at Rezdora, a tiny, delicious Italian restaurant. We ended at a craft beer bar near our hotel.



Day 4 - Monday

A very rainy day and the impetus for my getting Mike waterproof shoes for Christmas . Started out with brunch at Sarabeth's near our hotel then made our way down to Battery Park to take the free Ellis Island ferry for a view of the State of Liberty. Stayed in FiDi for a few hours and then decided I had to find a rainbow cookie. One of Mike's aunts makes rainbow cookies for Christmas; I'm obsessed and since I knew NYC had them, I went on a mission. The closest place I knew of that had them was Ferrara Bakery in Little Italy, which I reasoned was kind of on the way to the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge wasn't as much fun in the downpour as it might've been otherwise and we were very tired of being wet by the time we got over. In Brooklyn, we checked out several breweries - the first of which had over 10 IPAs alone and was therefore not really my thing (I'm more into stouts and porters) - and had dinner at Frankie's 457 Spuntino, where I had an amazing cavatelli dish that I want to replicate. 

Day 5 - Tuesday

No photos here as we just got another bagel for breakfast and then hit up another Christmas market, where I got a cute magnet for my desk at work. My flight was at 2 pm, while Mike had a slightly later flight headed to Seattle for work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LeRoy's Arrival Story

A Victorian without a fireplace? No more.

Vietnam 2020: A Recap and Travel Guide